Friday, November 13, 2009

From Rockettes, Rockstars, + Rockbottom


Keltie Colleen wrote this for her book that's dropping next year (I think). It stuck a chord in me.

"No matter what I did or accomplished I had to fake self- esteem. I put it on in the morning along with my make-up. I forced myself to act strong, confident, and in control. I was none of the things. My heart and my head were constantly duking it out. Sometimes my guts would get involved. They could not agree on what I should be doing with my life, my career or my heart. I had built too much to stand around and watch it fall apart so I did what I always did, I smiled, I skipped and I sucked it up. I worked harder. I exhausted myself in every aspect of life, making it work. I refused to fail. I refused to ask for help. I refused to believe that I was anything special and instead worked overtime to create the image to anyone that might be looking in, that I was."



Photo credit: Gabriel Zalweski. (That's me in the photo, by the way. Rehearsing on stage. I miss the stage.)

No comments:

Post a Comment